Friday, September 4, 2009

All aboard for Labor Day!

Today as I say "Hello" to a 3-day-weekend, I bid adieu to my white jeans. Labor Day is upon us and as mainstream, popular culture knows, white after Labor Day is a "don't". Or is it?

post

In very recent years, I have noticed several (reputable) fashion sources speaking out in favor of keeping white in your wardrobe all year round. Does this mean I can wear these white jeans in December? According to Suze Yalof Schwartz, executive fashion editor at large at Glamour, "Nothing is more chic than white jeans in the wintertime with a chunky cozy sweater or a blazer and leather boots." A look she dubs as "very Michael Kors."

Okay, so it is one thing to know (in your heart of hearts) that you can wear white after Labor Day and be considered fashionable by those in the fashion industry. But what about those of us in the real world? For example, I work with several older ladies who have been talking about "no white after Labor Day" since September 1. I guess they are really excited about packing away their elastic-waisted Briggs pants and Coldwater Creek blouses.

I admit, I would like to be confident enough to stroll into work wearing stark white in November, but I know I never would. What I will do is find me a nice pair of eggshell/off white/"winter white" pants. And I hate the term "winter white" because again, this is a color that truly can be worn year round as well.

When did colors get so pigeon-holed? I mean, if it wasn't for Christmas I might very well wear red and green in April -- who knows! In that vein, what is it about patterns and colors that conjure up certain images and ideas? For example, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what this blue and white striped, cotton denim jacket "reminded me" of. Then it dawned on me -- do I look like an old-fashioned train conductor?

engineer


*******
t-shirt: Mossimo
jacket: Ann Taylor Loft
jeans: Ann Taylor Loft
shoes: Jessica Simpson
jewelry: Cookie Lee
purse: Liz Claiborne (It's shiny AND it's leather! Can you believe it?)


No comments:

Post a Comment