Sunday, October 4, 2009

Shoes with a view

Today I awoke and readied myself for another busy day in Chicago. First order of business, Round Two at H&M, which just happens to be 3 blocks from where we are staying. The sun was finally out today. I decided to wear a skirt and my new boots -- which I had just bought last night.

post3

I layered up with an H&M turtleneck (bought last year during a trip to Boston), a off-white Michael Kors jacket (another great consignment find) and a denim skirt. You can't tell in the photo, but I also rocked a pair of nude fishnets.

As I mentioned in my blog post the other day, Chicagoans are not big on color. There is a lot of black and gray here. Needless to say, my colorful outfits stick out like a sore thumb. But not trying to hide my not-from-around-here-ness, I proudly marched up Michigan Avenue to H&M. By the time I returned back to our bed and breakfast, I decided jeans would be a better idea.

Of course, this idea had nothing to do with the fact that I had bought the cutest tweed, plaid shoes at H&M that I thought would look adorable peeking out from jeans...well, maybe it had a little to do with it. But I think all shoes deserve equal and fair wear. It is just that some of them are lucky enough to view Chicago's glittering skyline on a beautiful, crisp Autumn day. Lucky shoes indeed.

shoe

And while Chicago may not dress like they do in Dallas, they still have one common thread -- they will comment on my shoes. The lady taking our tickets at the Aquarium said "I can't believe you are brave enough to wear those shoes walking around." As per my usual, I gave her a smile and explained, "this was nothing," and they were about "two inches shorter than what I usually wear." Even so, by the end of the day, which included a visit to the world's largest indoor aquarium, a walk to Buckingham Fountain and then the John Hancock Observation Deck and a final walk back to the B&B -- I must say, might feet were killing me! It is not often I say that, but they really were. On the upside, the postcard view with my cute new shoes is a great keepsake and now that I broke in my new shoes, next time won't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment