Saturday, January 9, 2010

To quote Tori Amos: "hand me my leather"

When I initially sat down to write this blog, I really didn't know what I would type.

Yesterday, I wore a leather skirt to work.

post Friday

I don't think this is too big a deal, but I realize that some people may be consider that "blog worthy." Take for instance, my sister. The skirt was hers originally. She bought it about eight or ten years ago at Nordstroms and SHE NEVER WORE IT. About a year ago, I came across this skirt, hanging out, looking lonely in what use to be my sister's bedroom at my parent's house. I tried it on. No go. I brought it home with me and vowed that when it fit I would wear it -- PETA and office dress code be damned. When I called my sister yesterday and told her I was wearing the skirt, she was very happy. Apparently, she bought it because it was something she "would like to be stylish enough to wear," but never did.

Now, I'm not bragging here. I don't mean to focus on the fact that I lost weight or that I'm "stylish enough" to wear a leather skirt. I mean, not once today did anyone say: "Don't you look stylish!" Rather, I actually would like to prove a few points.

Firstly, leather skirts are not (only) for hookers. For some people, the idea of a leather skirt may conjure up the image of a prostitute leaning into a car window. However, given the right length, cut and style, leather skirts go from street walk to the catwalk. I mean, if its good enough for Gwenneth...:

gwyneth-paltrow-leather-skirt

Secondly, did I mention that this skirt is about ten years old? I've never kept a job that long, let alone an article of clothing. So I think it is worth nothing that a leather skirt can be an "investment piece" that is worth hanging on to. Styles come and go, but the leather skirt is a staple -- if it's a neutral color, appropriate length and devoid of a zipper running up the backside.

Lastly, as I sat here, trying to think of what I would write. A memory popped into my head. One I thought you all would appreciate.

Xenophobia is defined (by Webster's) "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign." Xenaphobia is defined (by me) as anyone who has a problem with Xena: Warrior Princess. She always wore a leather skirt and she was a bad ass.

xena

halloween
(Halloween, circa 1999)


Sweater: Ann Taylor Loft
skirt: anonymous
shoes: Cindy
ring: H&M

No comments:

Post a Comment