Monday, May 4, 2009

"Dressing on the Side" -- a stylish experiment in creativity and self-control

The idea for this blog came to me as most good ideas do, driving, shuffling the iPod for a song that suits my mood, lost in a myriad of random thoughts. As I drove past one of the city's premiere malls, it hit me: What if I did not shop for 3 months? The mere idea (while to some quite logical and realistic) to me seemed unfathomable. The longest I have gone without shopping has been 3 weeks, maybe, at most. To not shop for 3 months would be unbearable -- right?

I love to shop. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic who sees no need for self-help or a 12-step program. I believe in the power of retail therapy and riding out the highs and lows of buyer's remorse. My days are peppered with conversations that revolve around fashion and I fall asleep thinking of what I should wear the next day. I work full-time at a law firm and also own my own wardrobe consultation business, The Style Within (http://www.thestylewithin.com/). Hence my blog name "Dressing on the side."

My business model for The Style Within is to provide a fresh perspective to help women utilize the existing items in their wardrobe and suggest ways to update it by adding specific pieces, new trends and accessories.

As a wardrobe consultant, I tell people how to make better use out of what is already in their closet. And I'm going to practice what I preach. I'm swearing off all fashion-related shopping for 90 days. This blog will chronicle the outfits I create and wear using what I already have in my closet.



Day 1: today I paired a bronze shirt with a lilac skirt. I added a black belt, black heels and black jewelry. I felt good about this. I recognize that not everyone realizes bronze is a neutral and I was a bit unsure about pairing it with such a light color and the stark color of black. No one complimented me today, but I won't read that much into it.


























2 comments:

  1. How to make money from home Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete