Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shine on

Some people like animals or landscapes on their calendars. Some people have a fun facts or quote-of-the-day calendar. I have a "shoe-of-the-day" calendar. My desk calendar is 365 beauty shots of shoes spanning from 17th century to 2008. As you may have guessed (if you read Thursday's love letter to my shoes) I think my "Dignity" shoes could be on this calendar. I have considered submitting a picture of them to the publishers. I'm not sure if it works that way, but I've had the thought.

Today's calendar shoe du jour is a gold and sliver metallic leather pump circa 1930 -- proof that metallics have long been a part of fashionable footwear. Today my shoe du jour is a silver birdcage metallic leather pump circa 2007 -- proof that I will wear shoes that are 2 years old.

Metallic shoes are not just for pageants and proms. Metallics are neutral -- they go with everything. Metallics are in season -- every season. Metallics don't care what time of the day it is, they only care that you wear them and often.

Of course, all things in moderation. I'm not suggesting you wear head-to-toe metallics. Remember: "lamé" becomes "lame" without the accent. Use metallics to accent your outfits, not overpower them.

Today I wore what is undoubtedly my favorite button-up shirt. It is bright aqua blue that makes me happy. I have been searching everywhere for another shirt of the same color. Of course, I stopped looking for said shirt when I entered my 90 day moratorium on shopping. (However, if anyone reading this feels I'm owed a gift, or they like to shop for Christmas presents early, please take note.) I also wore my black wide-leg pants. These pants are fantastic because they have decorative tabs instead of belt loops -- no belt required! I accessorized with my crystal and pearl necklaces and silver shoes. The crystals are clear, but faceted so they capture the aqua blue and shine. Shiny makes me happy. I'm a shiny, happy person.












R.E.M. could have been singing about metallic accessories:

Everyone around love them, love them
Put it in your hands
Take it take it
There's no time to cry
Happy happy
Put it in your heart
Where tomorrow shines
Gold and silver shine
-- "Shiny Happy People" by REM (1991)

However, according to my good friend Mr. Wiki, the song is supposedly an ironic reference to a Chinese propaganda and the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Really? Because I could swear it was about my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment