Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The one with the purple belt

Here's a little story about life imitating art. Well, maybe not art, but about life imitating sitcoms -- which I find highly amusing.

Something happened to me that called to mind an episode of "Friends". In particular, it was the episode when Rachel wanted to prove she could make it in NYC on her own --she was trying to get by without her father's money. It was from the episode called "The One With George Stephanopoulos":

Monica: Rach, it's the Visa card people.
Rachel: Oh, God, ask them what they want.
Monica: [on the phone] Could you please tell me what this is in reference to? Yes, hold on.
[to Rachel]
Monica: Um, they say there's been some unusual activity on your account.
Rachel: But I haven't used my card in weeks.
Monica: That is the unusual activity.

So, this past weekend I'm shopping and buying what can only be described as an obscene amount of belts. I'm sure the salesgirl thought I was a heroin addict, because surely no one needs this many belts unless they are strapping it to each arm and their legs at one time. Anyway, I'm at the counter and swipe my card. It doesn't work. I swipe again. It doesn't work. At this point the cashier says the machine is indicating that the bank wants her to call. Okay, no problem, there is money in the account -- call them.

Turns out, I hadn't been shopping in so long the bank was wondering what was going on. I'm not making this up! Needless to say, the cashier got the all-clear and I received a big bouquet of flowers from Visa (well, not really, but I should).

Today's outfit can only be described as my uniform. Shirt? check. Skirt? check. Belt? check. Heels? check. I mean, I know I wear a lot of belts. I'm not sure when my obsession really started, but I do love them. Hence the reason I bought so many this weekend. This purple belt is new. I bought it without consideration to my purple heels, but put them together today. Today I heard the belt say to the shoes "You look great." And the shoes said to the belt, "Thanks. You look good too." See, they compliment each other nicely.

post1

*****
blouse: Apt. 9
skirt: Ann Taylor outlet
belt: New York & Co.
shoes: Charles David

No comments:

Post a Comment