Monday, August 24, 2009

How to broach the subject (the long way)

I'm a big fan of television and I watch a lot of it. Not so much that would make you think "Oh, poor thing, she must be a shut-in", but enough to make most people wonder when I find the time (thank you DVR).

I like anything that is not reality -- because, t.v. is supposed to be an escape from reality. And I don't care for shows about criminal profilers -- they are just too disturbing and it makes me wonder about a) the sick minds that are thinking it up and b) the sick minds watching that show thinking: "Mmm, that looks like fun." Other than that, I really like t.v.

One of my new favorite shows is Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime. There are several reasons I have worked this show into my DVR line up -- the least of which is that I'm a sucker for any show where there is a curvy girl.

I loved "Less Than Perfect," but was very upset when beautiful Sara Rue lost about 30 pounds.
Sara

I adore Sara Ramirez as Callie on Grey's Anatomy (even if the story line with Erica Hahn wasn't my favorite).
DF_SaraRamire_325

I really routed for plus-size barmaid Janet Meadows (played by Rebecca Field) on the now defunct show "October Road". Though admittedly, I did find the romance between her and gorgeous, bad boy Eddie Latekka a bit far fetched.
October Road

And don't even get me started on how upset I was when my favorite 5' 2" foul talking comedienne Janeane Garofalo (who I adored in "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" and "Matchmaker") lost a ton of weight. It almost makes watching her now on "24" unbearable -- oh wait, that would be the never ending doom and ceaseless cell tower triangulation.
Janeane%20Garofalo

I do love movies and shows with curvy girls, so it is no surprise that I love Drop Dead Diva and its lead character, attorney Jane Bingum (played by the beautiful Brooke Elliot). Though, I find it almost ironic that a very slimmed-down Margaret Cho plays Jane's assistant.
fat-600

Now, on to my point (we took the scenic route to get here). In the pilot episode, Jane's antagonist, a thin, snarky attorney named Kim is putting down Jane's fashion sense and says something along the lines of "She wears a brooch. No one under the age of 50 wears a broach." Well, I'm not sure when the script was written, but it had to have been awhile back. Because broaches are one hot accessory. I've always had a broach on my winter coat, but I'm going to try to wear them more often and in different ways. I even set out to find a broach for the specific purpose of using it as a closure on this lace jacket.

post1

brooch

This jacket is black cotton lace overlaying pink lace and is lined with pink cotton. It is one of my finds from my consignment store trip. It had a little ribbon to tie for closure, but I opted to cut it off and close with this broach, which I found at Macy's on clearance for $5. It would also work well pinned to the lapel of a jacket or on a sweater. Broaches can double as hair jewelry. Another way to wear a broach is to place it on a necklace or cluster several broaches together and create your own statement jewelry.

********
jacket: Odille
cami: Old Navy Intimates (I wish I was kidding)
brooch: Charter Club
skirt: Ann Taylor Loft
shoes: Tahari

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Daniela. Partly because I share your affection for curvy girls in Hollywood (the "curvy" look is coming back...I just know it!), and partly because I love broaches, but never wear them. Well, I wear them very seldom. My favorite way is on a gorgeous, but plain, cocktail dress I've borrowed from a friend and then bought for myself recently. It has spaghetti straps and a very low cut neckline that plunges into an empire waist. It makes my boobs look amazing, even though there's not much there after 2 babies, but I digress. I'd never been sure what to wear for jewelry with the dress because of the awesome neckline. The last time I wore it, though, for a Christmas party downtown, I stuck a broach right in the middle of my cleavage in order to minimize the plunge. Needless to say I had a lot of eyeballs staring at my chest all night...which I secretly loved. *smile* That is now my favorite "dressy dress" and my favorite way to wear a broach!!

    ReplyDelete